Special Collections

Sold between 21 September & 2 April 2003

3 parts


Medals to The Gordon Highlanders and Associated Units from the Collection of A.J. Henderson

Arnold James Henderson


№ 310


21 September 2007

Hammer Price:

Military General Service 1793-1814, 6 clasps, Egypt, Corunna, Fuentes D’Onor, Vittoria, Pyrenees, Toulouse (Thos. Roy, 92nd Foot) nearly extremely fine £1600-1800

Thomas Roy was born in the Parish of Huntly, in the county of Aberdeen, and enlisted into the 92nd Highlanders on 1 December 1799, a weaver by profession, aged 34 years. After service in Egypt he returned to Ireland on board the transport Modeste, arriving in Kilkenny in February 1802. He served subsequently both in Scotland and England before taking part in the expedition to Copenhagen in June 1807. Returning to England at the end of the year, he went on furlough until 13th March. In 1808 he went to Portugal and was part of the expedition under Sir John Moore, taking part in the retreat to Corunna where, after the battle fought there, the Army was evacuated to England in January 1809, Roy being shown in the musters as being sick in the Regimental Hospital for the next two months. He took part in abortive expedition to Walcheren later that year and upon returning to England was again hospitalized in December 1809. He went back to Portugal in October 1810, taking part in the battles of Fuentes D’Onoro and Vittoria. He was wounded during the battles in the Pass of Maya, 25-31 July, and spent the next three months recovering in hospital at Vittoria. He was recovered in time to participate in the final action of the campaign at Toulouse and returned to Fermoy in Ireland in July 1814. He remained with the Regimental Depot at Cork when the 92nd embarked to join Wellington’s Army in Flanders, whilst awaiting transfer to the 3rd Royal Veteran Battalion in Edinburgh which eventually took place on 12 October 1815. He was an invalid at York Hospital, Edinburgh, from March 1816, being placed on out-pension on 3 May. He was finally discharged at Edinburgh Castle on 24 May 1816, the regiment having been disbanded by order of the Prince Regent, and in consequence of a ‘wound in the chin & slight rupture’. Sold with copy discharge papers and full muster details.