Lot Archive


№ 697


16 October 1996

Hammer Price:

Six: Distinguished Service Medal, G.VI.R. (MX.55626 S. Wood, L.S.B.A. H.M.S. Prince of Wales) impressed naming; 1939-45 Star; Atlantic Star; Pacific Star; Defence and War Medals, very fine (6)

This lot was sold as part of a special collection, The Douglas-Morris Collection of Naval Medals.

View The Douglas-Morris Collection of Naval Medals


D.S.M. London Gazette 14 October 1941 “For mastery, determination and skill in action against the German battleship BISMARCK.”

The following recommendation was extracted from Admiralty records: “Leading Sick Berth Attendant Wood was one of the first men to arrive on the shattered bridge of the PRINCE OF WALES after it had taken a direct hit from a 15-inch shell. This occurred only five minutes after H.M.S. HOOD had blown up in a vast eruption of flame. The bridge of the PRINCE OF WALES was a complete shambles, every Officer and Man was either dead or wounded, Wood immediately set to work in rescuing and removing the wounded to a place of shelter, many of the wounded owe their lives to the courage, prompt and skilful action he took on entering the bridge and being confronted by an horrific scene of dead and dying men. He continued to work unaided for some time until he was relieved.”

Born on 2 July 1919 in Knottingly, Yorkshire, Sam Wood was employed as a glass worker prior to joining the Royal Navy in October 1937. He joined H.M.S. DRAKE in October 1937 as a Probationary Sick Berth Attendant, being advanced to Sick Berth Attendant in August 1938 whilst still serving at DRAKE. He then joined the following ships, CALENDONIA (December 1938), ST GEORGE (September 1939) when he was advanced to Leading Sick Berth Attendant (Temporary); in this rank he served on the PRINCE OF WALES (January 1941), DRAKE (August 1941), NEWCASTLE (January 1942), ST GEORGE (November 1942), DRAKE (February 1943), RAJAH (April 1944), PHILOCETES (June 1945), and DRAKE (November 1945). He continued to serve at DRAKE until discharged ashore on 22 April 1946, being declared ‘physically unfit for Naval service.’ The group is sold with his original Certificate of Service.