LONDON, New Royal Exchange, 1840, ivory, triangle of shields on scroll, rev. legend, named (William Tite, Architect), 49mm, 16.35g (W –; D & W –). Good very fine, very rare £200-400
Sir William Tite, CB, FRS (1798-1873), architect; b St Bartholomew the Great, London; articled to David Laing of Hatton Garden, 1820; built the Scottish church at St Pancras for Edward Irving, 1827-8; assisted in the design of the London & Westminster Bank head office in Lothbury, 1838; elected to the Society of Antiquaries 1839; won the second competition to rebuild the Royal Exchange, 1840, the edifice opening in 1844; designed many early railway stations, including Vauxhall (Nine Elms), Southampton, Gosport, Eton & Windsor Riverside, Barnes, Chiswick, Kew Bridge, Carlisle Citadel and Axminster; landscaped Brookwood Cemetery, Woking, 1853-4; MP for Bath 1855-73; awarded the RIBA Gold Medal, 1856; Kt 1869; CB 1870; d. Torquay 20 April 1873.
Please note that ivory is covered by CITES legislation and may be subject to export and other trade restrictions