Lot Archive


№ 277


27 July 1995

Hammer Price:

A Battle of Britain and night fighter pilot’s group of four awarded to Pilot Officer Guy Edmiston, Royal Air Force, No. 151 Squadron
1939-45 Star, clasp, Battle of Britain, the clasp a copy; Air Crew Europe Star; Defence and War Medals, together with the recipient’s original Flying Log Book, several photographs and Battle of Britain reunion invitations, extremely fine (4)

Guy Edmiston joined the Royal Air Force on 15 October, 1938, and gained his wings on 22 July, 1940. He was posted to No. 151 Squadron at Digby, on 29 September, having amassed over 200 hours flying experience. He flew his first sortie on 27 October in Hurricane No. 6634, and flew another three sorties before the official close of the Battle of Britain on 31 October.
By the end of the year 151 Squadron was being re-equipped with Defiant night fighters, and P/O Edmiston teamed up with a Sergeant Beale who became his regular gunner. During a night patrol on 2 May, 1941, they shot down a JU 88 of 1/KG30 which was returning to Germany having bombed Liverpool. The aircraft made a good belly landing just off shore at Weybourne in Norfolk, all crew members being taken prisoner. On another night patrol on 16 May they engaged three enemy aircraft claiming to have probably destroyed all three - two Dorniers and a Heinkel 111. On 22 June they claimed a JU 88 shot down into the sea but which was in all probability a HE 111 of 7/KG26 which crashed into the sea at Brightstone Bay, Isle of Wight. Edmiston claimed his last kill on 4 July, 1941, a HE 111 probably destroyed on a night patrol. From 21 March, 1942, until the end of the war he was a Sector Controller at North Weald and Hornchurch, and finally on the Air Staff of Fighter Command.
On demobilisation he returned to Lloyds as a broker and played rugby in his spare time for Blackheath Harriers. He began a career in local politics becoming Chairman of Chelsea Borough Council, becoming Mayor in 1954. In the same year he was appointed National Treasurer of the N.S.P.C.C. He served on the Westminster and City Magistrates Bench and was Chairman to the Lord Mayor of London. He died in 1989.